Thursday, March 29, 2012

Alternate Snapshot Folder during Setup in 2005

One of the things that annoys me in 2005 is that you cannot change the snapshot location during the setup of the replication. Does anyone know if I missed something or if they are going to change that in a future patch?

Hi Rich,

Although you can't set alternate snapshot folder locations in publication setup wizard, you can change it immediately in "Publication Properties" dialog. Please see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151745.aspx.

If you would like to specify default snapshot location, you can set it in distributor property dialog (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151258.aspx)

Peng

|||This is true, but if you are pulling a subsription and you use the ability to setup multiple subscribers all at once then I have to go to the properties of each subscription and change the alternate folder location which is a pain.|||

What is the purpose of using alternate snapshot location, are you no longer in need of using the default snapshot location? You're not required to need both, you can set the default to be the location of the alternate, then you don't have to worry about specifying altnernate snapshot location. See books online topic "Alternate Snapshot Folder Locations". ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/rpldata9/html/437553b0-19df-4522-8f27-06b5bc747c69.htm.

|||

In this case I do require both. There is a publisher in Toronto that I have limited control over because it is owned y a different company. My distributor is also in Toronto (different facility) where the snapshots are storedin RAW format for my subscribers in Toronto. I then have a process where I compress the snapshots and FTP them to a server I have in Vancouver and ucompress them for my subscribers there. So in this case I need both the default and alternate location. I have about 16 publications like that and about 8 go to each subsciber that I have and I have about 13 subscribers currently.

I'll check out BOL on that matter as you suggest.

Thanks

Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment